Thursday, May 12, 2005

Frankly Speaking, Its All About Assumptions, Presumptions and Perspective

As I stumble through my relationship with MS my perspective changes!

I ask myself, "But what if you couldn't ...?" much more often now.

When I look at an intersection I notice whether there are ramps or curbs.

I catch myself noticing whether the island dividing a street has a wheelchair ramp in it to allow persons in wheelchairs to cross.

I notice how far it is from the pedestrian crosswalk button to the wheelchair ramp and ask why the button is not adjacent to the ramp. But for some reason the question, "What if I couldn't press the button?" Never crosses my mind.

I look to see if wheeling down a ramp puts you out in the street or out into a crosswalk.

I've noticed the roadbed several inches lower than the curb when the street was being re-surfaced. And I've watched as an individual in a motorized wheelchair crossed the street only to encounter that step up!

I notice the disabled parking placards hanging in vehicles. Are they expired?

I notice the people parking in those spots who shouldn't. Damn, I wish I were that important!

I've witnessed a disabled person squeezing a second car into a disabled van accessable spot because she felt entitled.

I've seen wheelchair ramps at curbs that were lined with barricades to keep autos from driving up onto the sidewalk. Think about it!

Yet, I still find myself thinking like an able-bodied man. That perception just won't go away! It's hard to remember that I need to step first with the left foot and always pivot on the left foot.

Actually, its not that it's hard to remember. What's hard is forgetting that I used to not have to think about it at all.

No comments: