Thursday, February 21, 2008

COPE

The word seems to be used a lot by people, oft times patients, living with Multiple Sclerosis. I am not one of them! One definition of cope:

Dictionary: cope (kōp)

intr.v., coped, cop·ing, copes.
To contend or strive, especially on even terms or with success: coping with child rearing and a full-time job.
To contend with difficulties and act to overcome them


Contend, strive acting to overcome all sound good but passive! It seems to say, "I'll live with MS" or "I'll try" It's a reaction to the disease not a means of meeting it head-on. To cope is simply not an action verb!

Rather than set back and cope with all things MS; I choose to get involved, evolve and adapt! I guess that is action vs reaction!!

At the end of the day, if I've adapted or evolved I have something to take into tomorrow. If I simply coped with the day, do I?

No comments: